Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Event #3: Bowers Museum 5/22

When I first got to Bowers Museum, I didn't think that I was going to be able to find anything that could be related to the specific topics that we have covered in class because it seemed to be more historic rather than futuristic. However, I came across an exhibit by an artist by the name of Nancy Ravenhall Johnson that I believed to hold ideals of art concepts that we have discussed in class. Her exhibit is entitled, "Where Ends Meet," and essentially, she takes somewhat obscure physical objects that she has found throughout her life and remakes them into artistic items such as sculptures or masks. This exhibit can be applied directly to the main idea of the class, which is blending together the idea of "the third culture" of art. 


Johnson spent a majority of her life as a graphic designer, so she has a plethora of knowledge when it comes to understanding the importance of technology on the influence of art. I chose to take a picture of this mask that she made out of miscellaneous items because I believe that it really embodies the style of art that she is trying to convey, the idea that beauty can be found in any combination of items. I believe that her background as a graphic designer is beneficial to understanding that even though you are experienced in a technologically-based form of art, it can still give you motivation to create things that would not normally be associated with things that we would study in this class. 

Here is a mask that Nancy Johnson made out of products that she has found and come across in her daily life. 
                               





Here I am with a staff member of the Bowers museum 

No comments:

Post a Comment