Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week 1: Two Cultures

My name is Erica Beebe and I am a North Campus major. More specifically I am a 4th year history major and music history minor. I found these articles to be very interesting because I think it acknowledges an issue that is very relatable to the community here at UCLA. The divide that is found between North and South campus majors has always been constant, but during my time here I have noticed that the tensions have started to run a little bit higher. With new technological advancements providing more material  While we are all members of the same school it is an unspoken but known fact that south campus majors tend to envy north campus majors. From a personal standpoint, I have never been very good at the subjects that constitute a "south" campus major. I prefer writing a paper over having to take a math or science test.



Both the Snow and the Vesna articles really put the concept of science vs. literary (and the arts) into perspective. A common theme in both of these articles is that they are talking about a clear divide that they see in intellectual society. The Snow article pits the literary scholars against the scientific scholars, stating that he observed the interactions between these two groups of people stating that the non-scientists viewed the scientists as "shallowly optimistic and unaware of man's condition." I believe that this concept can still be felt here on UCLA's campus today. The feelings of dislike that north and south campus majors have toward each other can be attributed to the increase in competition that has brought us all together in the first place. The south campus majors think that the north campus majors have it really easy, but in reality both majors are doing equally as hard work, but just in their own way. Plus, you have the option to choose your major, so in essence there should be no complaining.



Fast forward a couple decades to when technological advancements in multiple fields of scholarly fields allowed there to be third "element" added to the equation. Technology, according to the Vesna article is something that has caused the question of whether or not we have reached the end in the fields of science and art. This is a question that I hadn't really pondered before because it just seemed that there are endless possibilities that we can accomplish on both artistic and scientific fronts. I do believe that technology has already contributed to almost an equal amount of negative impacts on our society as there have been positive ones. Only time will tell how the advancements of technology will increase the competition and tensions felt between north and south campus majors.


However, at the end of the day the way that the world functions would not be complete without both (or all three) sides of these cultures.



Now after all this negative dissection of our school's "divide" here is a nice reminder that, "North or South Campus we're all just Bruins!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCGMlS2B_s


2 comments:

  1. HI Erica! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I also agree with you that after reading the readings and resources from this week I could find a clear connection to the North and South campus divide here on campus at UCLA. I love how you said at the end of your posting that nonetheless we are all Bruins and I agree with you it I so true that perhaps the reason we are all so competitive in the first place is because we strive to be the best Bruins we can be and have a passion for what we represent. In the end we all would not be able to function one with out the other and this is when the third culture really comes into play. I agree that technology has already impacted society negatively but it will in fact be interesting to see what happens in the future as technology continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica, I really enjoyed reading your perspective on campus and how your background has contributed to where you are today considering the two cultures. I am a fourth year psychology major, and an older transfer student with a family of my own, so coming into UCLA with this background has made my experience very different from the average college experience. I have actually found the two cultures on campus to be very appreciative and accommodating to each other.
    Near the end of your blog you wrote, “Only time will tell how the advancements of technology will increase the competition and tensions felt between north and south campus majors.” I believe that this is true, but at the same time there are advancements happening all around us all the time. So I think it’s important to think about children right now in this circumstance because C.P. Snow said that our education curriculums are to blame for this divide. I believe that parents can help balance the divide by exposing their children to arts and sciences and really encouraging collaboration between the two just like the families in UCLA family housing. Maybe competition and tensions between the two cultures do not have to increase because of technology. I know it is difficult for everyone to expose their children to all of the opportunities that my daughter has had the chance to experience because of my education at UCLA, but that is where community is such a huge part of raising a child and communities need people from both cultures to work together in order to thrive.

    ReplyDelete